English. Deutsch. Español. Italiano. Français. Norsk. Svenska. Português. 中文. Pусский. 한국어. 日本人. हिन्दी. বাংলা. عربى. فارسی. Українська. View the map of organizational peace pledge signers. (Individuals, sign the pledge here.) Get sign-up sheets. Buy a framed poster of this peace pledge here.
What does it mean?
- Wars and militarism: By wars, we mean the organized, armed, mass use of deadly violence; and by militarism we mean preparations for war, including the building of weapons and militaries and the creation of cultures supportive of war. We reject the myths that usually support war and militarism.
- Less safe: We are endangered by wars, weapons testing, other impacts of militarism, and the risking of nuclear apocalypse.
- Kill, injure, and traumatize: War is a leading cause of death and suffering.
- Damage the environment: War and militarism are major destroyers of climate, land, and water.
- Erode civil liberties: War is the central justification for government secrecy and the erosion of rights.
- Drain economies: War impoverishes us.
- Siphoning resources: War wastes $2 trillion a year that could do a world of good. This is the primary way in which war kills.
- Nonviolent efforts: These include everything from educational events to art to lobbying to divestment to protesting to standing in front of trucks full of weapons.
- Sustainable and just peace: Nonviolent activism not only succeeds more than war at the things war is supposedly for: ending occupations and invasions and tyranny. It also is more likely to result in a long-lasting peace, a peace that is stable because not accompanied by injustice, bitterness, and thirst for revenge, a peace based on respect for the rights of all.
- Join the growing global World BEYOND War network, with members from 192 countries worldwide. Organizational signers are listed on our website here. By growing the number of signers on the peace pledge, we demonstrate our people power, showing the world that there is massive global support for war abolition.
- Check the boxes on the pledge to indicate your interest areas, such as divestment or closing military bases. We'll follow up with opportunities for taking action on these campaigns!
- Opt in to our global email list to receive biweekly newsletters and other important updates with the latest anti-war news from around the world, upcoming anti-war/pro-peace events, petitions, campaigns, and action alerts.
- Connect with other activists in our global network working on similar campaigns around the world to share stories of activism and learn from each other.
- Get access to our resources to help you organize and promote your anti-war/pro-peace events and campaigns to a global audience. We can assist with event organizing, graphic design, website design, webinar hosting, strategic campaign planning, and more.
- When you sign, add a short quotable statement on why you want to end war, which gives us great material for social media and other outlets.