Volunteer Spotlight: Carolyn

Announcing our volunteer spotlight series! In each biweekly e-newsletter, we’ll be sharing the stories of World BEYOND War volunteers around the world. Want to volunteer with World BEYOND War? Email greta@worldbeyondwar.org.

Location: Charlottesville, Virginia

How did you get involved with World BEYOND War (WBW)?
I got involved with WBW through the University of Virginia job website, Handshake, where I applied for a social media internship. WBW was a perfect match for me at this time. With everything happening in the world currently, just being informed was the first step to being a volunteer. I signed the Declaration of Peace because I’m very passionate about the media and the influences it has on our everyday lives. I believe an essential part of dismantling the war machine is dismantling the prevalent ideology that war is necessary.

What kinds of volunteer activities do you help with?
I’m a social media intern. So, I schedule Facebook posts for times when our international followers will be able to interact. I also keep an eye on our Twitter. I track our analytics to see what is working, and I try to keep everything up-to-date with current events.

What’s your top recommendation for someone who wants to get involved with WBW?
I highly recommend that they sign up to volunteer on our website, or apply for an internship through job sites. I also recommend reading A Global Security System: An Alternative to War – 2018-19 Edition.

What keeps you motivated to advocate for change?
I try to maintain a balance. It’s incredibly important to keep up-to-date because not only is this about my future, but the future of younger generations as well. However, it’s easy to get overloaded with everything happening. Sort of like a news tragedy burn out. That’s something I used to struggle with. Now, I keep up-to-date with current events but I make my personal social media (@DoeCara on Twitter) 90% dedicated to comedy. The other 10% is activism related. So, if I read a news article detailing the horrific conditions in immigration detention centers, I do something about it (whether that be via a petition or getting the word out), and then I’ll allow myself to unwind by doing something silly. It allows me to recharge and be a part of the campaign for peace in a long-term format.

Posted on July 21, 2019.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Our Theory of Change

How To End War

Move for Peace Challenge
Antiwar Events
Help Us Grow

Small Donors Keep Us Going

If you select to make a recurring contribution of at least $15 per month, you may select a thank-you gift. We thank our recurring donors on our website.

This is your chance to reimagine a world beyond war
WBW Shop
Translate To Any Language