No to Nato protests: transport and accommodation
In less than 3 weeks time the leaders of the key Western powers will gather in South Wales for the NATO summit. We need the biggest possible protests to force them to break from their aggressive foreign policy.
The momentum for organised resistance to this year’s NATO summit in Newport has grown in response to recent events.
The NATO powers give full backing to Israel, the watchdog of imperialism in the Middle East. Meanwhile, in Ukraine NATO has been stoking the flames of civil war, holding military exercises on Ukrainian soil at time fraught with international tensions – as made clear by the horrific shooting down of flight MH-17. And in Iraq, the increasing sectarian violence over the last few weeks has shown how western intervention has failed by every measure.
Large public meetings have been held by local Stop the War groups and more are being planned, and coaches from around the UK are being organised to mobilise as many people as possible for the mass demonstration in Newport on the 30th of August.
A whole week of protest is planned during the week of the summit.
Everything you need to know to prepare for these vital protests is available on the Stop the War web site.
You can also help us build the protest by ordering our No to Nato protest postcards, which contain details of the week of action. Call 020 7561 4830 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Coaches going to Newport (more to follow – please contact us if your are organizing transport your area):
- Birmingham Saturday 30 August return. Tickets £8. To book a ticket telephone 07771 567 496. Organized by Birmingham Stop the War
- London 8am coach to Newport from ULU, Malet Street. Return Sunday 31st August. Tickets £20/30. To book a ticket telephone 020 7561 4830. Organized by Stop the War and CND
- Norwich More details to follow – telephone 01493 664499 to register interest. Organized by Norwich Stop the War
- Newcastle 6am coach to Newport from Central Station, Newcastle. Saturday 30 August return.Tickets £30/15. To book a ticket telephone 07719 946 814. Organized by Newcastle Stop the War
- More coaches are being organized across the UK and we’ll publish details as soon as we have them. Please get in touch if you are organizing for the Nato summit protests in your area.
- NATO Peace Camp. Tredegar Park (facilitated by Newport Council). Camping £2 per night. More details will be announced soon.
- Ibis Newport. Telephone 01633 859058. Rooms from £25 per night.
- Tredegar House Caravan Club Site. Telephone 01633815600. Camping from £18.40 per night. 10 minute bus ride from Newport town centre.
- Cwm Hedd Lakes. Telephone 01633896854. Camping from £12 per night.
The latest on NATO and the spread of war from the Stop the War web site:
- Demonising Putin when it was the West that provoked the Ukraine crisis Christopher Booker
- Obama opened the door to ISIS and is architect of chaos in Iraq, Syria and Libya Jeffrey Sachs
Stop the War Coalition | email@example.com | 020 7561 4830