"Let's End the Whole Nuclear Era!" – Ellen Thomas at St. Louis WILPF Annual Meeting
23 Apr 2017 - 17:00
St. Louis, Missouri
- “Let’s End the Whole Nuclear Era”
- Ellen Thomas will speak at 7 pm on April 23, after the St. Louis WILPF annual business meeting (5-5:30 pm) and dinner being held at the St. Louis Ethical Society, 9001 Clayton Rd.
- This is Ellen’s fourth stop on the 5,000 mile tour to promote a nuclear-free future during which she will be speaking about –
- * The nuclear weapons ban treaty negotiations June 19-July 7, 2017, and the Women’s March to Ban the Bomb on June 17;
- * Eleanor Holmes Norton’s nuclear weapons abolition and energy conversion bill, introduced each session since 1994 – move the money from nuclear and other weapons to carbon-free, nuclear-free energy, environmental restoration, and other human needs;
- * Stop the unnecessary and extremely hazardous shipments of highly radioactive liquid waste from Chalk River, Canada to Savannah River Site, South Carolina;
- * Urge action on the uranium mining moratorium and cleanup bill promoted by Defenders of the Black Hills;
- * voter initiatives as a tool for education and change.
- Ellen Thomas bio –
- * Current Co-Chair of Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom Disarm/End Wars Committee (since 2008)
- * Co-founder of Proposition One Campaign for a Nuclear Free Future (1990)
- * Maintained a vigil for global nuclear weapons abolition north of the White House day and night for 18 years (1984-2002)