"Coffee with Ellen Thomas" for a Nuclear-Free Future
6 May 2017 - 10:00
An international or national campaign to abolish nuclear weapons will not succeed without public support and grassroots support.
WOMEN AGAINST MILITARY MADNESS
WOMEN’S INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM
Campaign to Ban Nuclear Weapons
WILPF hosts “Coffee With” – Ellen Thomas
SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2017
10 AM – NOON
VAN CLEVE COMMUNITY CENTER
901 15th AVE. SE, MINNEAPOLIS
Minneapolis: seventh stop of a 5000 mile tour for a nuclear-free future
Will be speaking about?
* The nuclear weapons ban treaty negotiations June- July in New York
* June 19-July 7, 2017, and the Women’s March to Ban the Bomb on June 17;
* Eleanor Holmes Norton’s nuclear weapons abolition and energy conversion bill, introduced each session since 1994 – move the money from nuclear and other weapons to carbon-free, nuclear-free energy, environmental restoration, and other human needs;
* The campaign to stop highly radioactive liquid waste from Chalk River, Canada to Savannah River Site, South Carolina;
* Efforts to achieve the uranium mining moratorium and cleanup bill – Defenders of the Black Hills;
* Voter initiatives as a tool for education and change.
Who is Ellen Thomas?
* Vigiled 18 years (1984 -2002) for abolition of nuclear weapons day & night White House north side
* On a spring 2017 US 5000 mile speaking tour to abolish nuclear weapons
* Co-founder and manager of Peace House in Washington DC (2002-2011)
* Former Chair of Washington Peace Center Board (2007-8)
* Co-Chair of Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom Disarm/End Wars Committee (2008 – )
Happy hour/light dinner discussion & meeting May 6 – Everyone Welcome –
Call Regina Birchem 412 610 4288 for place and details.
Website: Reaching Critical Will